Middleport Matters leased and renovated premises for a community hub and recruited a core team of staff, to provide services and support to people in the local area of Middleport, Longport and Dalehall.
The Community Hub officially opened in January 2020, laid out as an informal community lounge where people could drop in for support, to attend activities, and to receive 1-1 support from the team.
Activities taking place at the community hub and in the surrounding area are aimed at improving community cohesion, improving mental and physical wellbeing of residents, and enhancing the local environment and reputation. Activities include (but are not limited to):
- Social groups – Tea & Toast
- Creative activities -Stitched Up (Wool Crafts) and Creative Coffee
- Wellbeing groups – Female and Male wellbeing groups
- Environmental activities – regular litter picks, community gardening/planting, and ‘tidy up’ projects
- Learning activities – Family Eco Club and Community Learning sessions
- Drop-In Surgeries – Staffordshire Police, SOTCC Ward Counsellor, and local MP
In addition, partners and other groups host information sessions, meetings, and social groups at the community hub, enabling information to be shared with local residents and providing opportunities in the local area.